Happy New Year everybody! I promise to improve the quality and quantity of posts that I make this year.
Last year ended with a visit back home to India, where needless to say I had a ton of fun, did loads of shopping and ate an unimaginable quantity of yummy food thus adding to my already heavy weight.
If I started writing about all the stuff I did, I could go on and on and so to spare everyone the misery of a mile-long post, I will aim to make is short and sweet thus:
- Visited Bangalore, Chennai and Ahmedabad (first time).
- Took a few minutes to get accustomed to the number of people who looked like me once I got off at the Bengaluru international airport.
- Weather was just perfect!
- Traffic in Bangalore was horrible horrible and more horrible!
- Cornered several times by my non-existent Kannada skills.
- Enjoyed pre-wedding get-togethers with my cousins and wedding celebrations of my cousin to the maximum possible extent.
- Loved mehendi, pattu podavais, malli poo and dressing up my daughter for all three sessions.
- Watched (and almost relished, I dare say) my husband get a typical madras bashai dose from a taxi driver as he tried his hand driving in nungambakkam after 4 years.
- My daughter loved the attention from the thathas, patis, kollu thatha-patis and innumerable uncles, aunts and cousins.
- Suprised that I enjoyed my Saravana stores shopping experience – I had a personal shopper and all that. Apparently there is a group of folks there who watch out for NRIs and the like and assign shopping assistants. Wondered how they identified me as an NRI when I was in a salwar and had malli poo in my hair. May be too much English to a 3 year old.
- Scared by the utter lack of time to enjoy life by my IT counterparts in India.
- Bought a small baby oil bottle, one mysore sandal soap and a bottle of shringar “chaandhu” at a Naadar kadai for Rs.97 and felt stupid for pulling out Rs.50 note.
- Celebrated a very traditional Karthikai at my in-laws in Madisar and everything. Ate a lot of kadalai urundais – don’t really care for the pori urundais.
- Went bonkers shopping for handicrafts in Ahmedabad.
- Ahmedabad is a nice city – no crowds, bearable traffic and easy parking.
- Shamelessly bought a lovely hand-embroidered diwan set for Rs. 500, then bought cushions, and now hunting for a diwan on the Ikea website. All “thalai keezhai”.. ya I know.
- Provided daily menus (not healthy ones, only tasty ones) and made my mother dish out everything I wanted to eat, thus adding several pounds😦
- Changed an unbearable number of yucky diapers because my daughter got a Rotavirus infection.
- Found a new hobby – playdough!
- Made sure I packed all 4 bags to the maximum possible extent and now struggling with trying to find a place for everything I bought.
- Bid reluctant bye-byes to everyone back home.
- Successfully answered the question – “I see a lot of H1Bs adjusting their status to Green card. Why do you think they do that?” asked by the immigration officer by saying “Everyone has their own reasons!”
- Happy to be back home and still have a job!
- Damn it’s cold!
Here are a few pics..
And how did I forget this?? I spoke to Maami quite a few times and felt like I had known her all my life!